Saturday, October 10, 2009

NFL: Week 5 Predictions

My 2009 NFL Record: 31-15


The Marquee Matchups


New England Patriots (3-1) @ Denver Broncos (4-0)



The protege versus the grandmaster. Tom Brady versus (statistically) the best defense in the National Football League. On a weekend that lacks great games, this one has the most potential to be a special game.


The Broncos come into this game ranking first in the NFL in points allowed, 2nd in yards, sacks and forced turnovers. Denver, while not scoring a ton of points, has done a great job of controlling the clock with the running game, ranking 4th in the league in rushing yards per game (148). They'll need to continue to run the ball well to keep Tom Brady and co. off the field, and that shouldn't be a monumental task against a Pats defense that ranks 18th in rushing yards allowed per play (4.5)


For the Patriots, this is a challenge they've been seeing all year long, facing their 5th straight unbeaten opponent. The Patriots have struggled against the Broncos this decade, going 2-5 against them and losing the 2006 Division playoff game in the Mile High city. The Patriots reversed their bad fortunes last year with a 41-7 walloping of the Broncos in Foxboro last year.


The Broncos may be 4-0, but I think they've done it with smoke and mirrors, getting a lucky fluke win against the Bengals, two wins against horrible teams (Browns and Raiders) and one against a mediocre Dallas team. I think the run of good fortune comes to an end against a Patriots team starting to find it's stride.


And one more thing. Belichick is rarely shown up by his pupils. He'll be out to prove a point.


My Prediction: Pats 24, Broncos 10



Cincinnati Bengals (3-1) @ Baltimore Ravens (3-1)


My Prediction: Bengals 27, Ravens 24



The Rest of the Pack


Cleveland Browns (0-4) @ Buffalo Bills (1-3)



My Prediction: Browns10, Bills 13



Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2) @ Detroit Lions (1-3)



My Prediction: Steelers 27, Lions 14



Dallas Cowboys (2-2) @ Kansas City Chiefs (0-4)



My Prediction: Cowboys 33, Chiefs 7



Minnesota Vikings (4-0) @ St. Louis Rams (0-4)


My Prediction: Vikings 31, Rams 10



Oakland Raiders (1-3) @ New York Giants (4-0)


My Prediction: Raiders 3, Giants 27



Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-4) @ Philadelphia Eagles (2-1)


My Prediction: Bucs 21, Eagles 30



Washington Redskins (2-2) @ Carolina Panthers (0-3)


My Prediction: Redskins 10, Panthers 17



Atlanta Falcons (2-1) @ San Francisco 49ers (3-1)




My Prediction: Falcons 21, 49ers 27



Jacksonville Jaguars (2-2) @ Seattle Seahawks (1-3)

My Prediction: Jags 14, Seahawks 17



Houston Texans (2-2) @ Arizona Cardinals (1-2)


My Prediction: Texans 27, Cardinals 31



Indianapolis Colts (4-0) @ Tennessee Titans (0-4)


My Prediction: Colts 24, Titans 17



New York Jets (3-1) @ Miami Dolphins (1-3)


My Prediction: Jets 21, Dolphins 17

2 comments:

  1. Stuckey Report once again with invaluable insight. This is your #1 source for pick em advice. Ive already made 10K this season. Thanks Stuckey studs!

    ReplyDelete